This is a message from September 26th
As usual if you would like to read the passage online please just click on the blue words to open the appropriate page from the excellent Bible Gateway website.
If you would like to hear the sermon just click on the blue link. Isaiah 55.1-13
Come and Drink (1-2)
- Water is essential for life
- A water seller is pictured inviting people to drink freely
- “My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.” (Jeremiah 2:13)
- Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labour on what does not satisfy?
- So many chase success to be satisfied
- Your soul will delight in the richest of fare
- “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” (John 7:37-38)
Come and Hear (3-5)
- We can hear without listening
- Some things that we need to hear are vitally important
- Hear me, that your soul may live
- Isaiah is looking ahead to a time when the nation would completely subdued
- God’s covenant to David still held true
- These promises are fulfilled in Christ (Acts 13:34, 2 Samuel 7:16)
Come and be forgiven (6-7)
- Forgiveness is not just a New Testament concept
- Manasseh (2 chronicles 33:1-20)
- Time is short
- Seek the Lord
- Call on him
- Forsake his way and thoughts
- Turn to the Lord
Know God’s Ways are Higher (8-9)
- How high are the heavens?
- God’s ways are righteous
- We can know truth, “my thoughts are not your thoughts”
- We cannot understand everything
- Why does God forgive?
- “Many things about tomorrow,
I don’t seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.”
Know God’s Word has power (10-11)
- Does this mean that God uses every bad sermon?
- “So is my word that goes out from my mouth”
- “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” (Numbers 23:19)
- God’s word will fulfill its purpose
Know God’s Work (12-13)
- Where God’s people respond in faith, there is peace and joy
- The peace and joy are literally true
- Thorns and briers are as a result of the curse (Genesis 3:18)
- Once more we the curse reversed as the culmination of redemptions story.
- The Lord’s renown
- His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Ephesians 3:10-11)